Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The A1A

California has coast highway 1. Nice. Beautiful. Post-cardy. You can drive off a cliff if you're not careful. Makes it exciting! (see picture)

First Coast (named from earliest Euro-settlers) has the A1A. Flat, sandy, passing treasured seaside homes, a little swampy-smelling. Also, did I say "Flat"? A bit boring...

But it's what they got. Can't change it; gotta love it and ride it. So I went to a group ride this morning at the ungodly hour of 7:30 am. A bit difficult to be ready to roll, flexible, energized, on-site then. But I did it. And the dogs went into the morning with excess "good morning" energy, and a bit confused.

Unfortunately, I was all by myself. (picture) At the appointed hour, I was the sole annointed rider. I guess you could say I "led the group"! At about the half-way point, I pulled off the road to peek at the ocean. (picture) This is a location for RIGHT WHALE calving. Only about 300 left in the world, and they nurture their young right here. Didn't see any, though.

On other fronts, Amy and I tried - quite successfull - a local seafood restaurant. Really good, really casual, really local color. If we're not careful, we may wind up with a booth named after us! Good oysters, too. The outside tables were surprisingly empty in the 50 degree weather.... It is a bit like Stinson Beach here, I told Amy. Hopefully a bit warmer in summer! And we'll see about fog -- it's a big "I don't know" as of now. I saw a smattering of it this morning on the coast, but not really FOG fog; just wispy overcast down low enough to reach.

We've still got a defunct dryer to replace; a master bedroom closet down to the slab, with carpet tacks; scuffed paint all around; wobbly ceiling fans; and missing item that may or may not be inside still unsolved cardboard boxes. And a dog schedule to work out. Mostly for Grover, (pic in previous); Grendel now sleeps like a cat all day. The reason I know he's NOT a cat because when he wakes up, he has bed-head (hair all smushed close to his head on one side.) It's both comic and tragic. But it's his new look!

Sunny weekend ahead - maybe better photos to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment