Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Shrimp, Art and Pirates


Yep. All in one day. The 46th Annual Fernandina Shrimp Festival!

I took the scenic route -- no surprise for all who know me!-- and got to see the world-renowned locale of Mayport, home to Mayport shrimp boats that bring us Mayport shrimp here in Jacksonville. Once there, the road ended and I hopped a car-ferry across the river to continue. Waiting for the ferry I talked to a ex-trucker on a motorcycle. We shared disdain for bad drivers and an appreciation of the Jersey shore, where he used to deliver.

Past Amelia Island, I reach the area with a schizto-history: no fewer than eight sovereignties claimed Fernandina, hence it's slogan "Isle of the Eight Flags." I parked at a high school and took the yellow school bus shuttle. It delivered me to a cute downtown of close-together (unusual around here) brick buildings, dating from before the turn of the century. A sign in a church courtyard declares: "Thou shalt not skate," presumably meaning at church, though there may be a larger message intended.

The town could be a Sausalito-of-the-South. I saw bakeries, restaurants, clothing, a grocery/convenience store, art galleries, a coffee roastery, bars and churches. And at least on this day, it was pedestrian friendly. A huge turnout snaked down nine blocks of main street and onto the spurs of side streets. Most art was predictable, but some above the level I expected. I even bought a framed piece that reminded me of Heather Wilcoxon's style. Booths also showed stained glass, ceramics, photography, fish and all-things-seashore-sculpture, and antiques.

Before my big purchase, to settle my nerves, I had to stop for lunch, and I selected the one item I had never before tried: a shrimp pie. I recalled that I have a two-hundred year old recipe for this, but I've never attempted it. I had to have one! (It was worth taking the risk and ingesting the cream sauce! Good work, Vietnam vets who made them.)

The way back toward Mayport, and then home, was still great weather, and very scenic, and I enjoyed noticing the ferry's flag masts - one flew the American flag, the other, by statute but perhaps not in spirit a hair lower, flew the standard of pirates!

2 comments:

  1. You know your brother will find out WHICH eight flags...

    I was in Florida, but I may not have been anywhere, last week for a conference. It was in "Orlando," which is a commerce-based theme park you may have heard of.

    From my 18th floor hotel room I had a great view of desolate paved expanses and other high-rise hotels. I did meet an extraordinary bird on a sidewalk, about 2' tall, with foot-long, bright-red legs, and a foot-long, pencil-thin, curved beak, and a round, totally white body. It rooted in the lawn once it had adjusted to my presence.

    ReplyDelete